How To Show Your Boss You’re A Leader
Listen up aspiring leaders!
Your boss shouldn’t have to tell you to step up as a leader if you wan’t the job. It’s your job to prove it to them.
Are you showing up as a leader every day? Ask yourself, are you solving problems on your own without having to ask your boss? Can you be trusted to manage yourself and others at the same time? Do you take initiative when completing tasks?
To show up as a leader you have to do the following consistently:
- Ask for feedback – Ask your peers, your boss and other senior leaders for feedback on your performance and behaviours.
- Deliver on your promises – Offer support to your peers, internal stakeholders and boss with other tasks/projects. But remember to deliver on your promise, and do not take on more than you can handle.
- Be influential – People follow leaders, so lead by example and walk the walk!
- Be the solution – When going to your boss with problems, have a solution to present alongside of it.
- Speak up – Share your ideas, voice your concerns and challenge when necessary. Leaders need to be brave enough to speak up when they feel there’s room for improvement. Show your boss you can do this in a mature and appropriate manner.
If you want that promotion, start showing up as a leader every single day.
Written By Sahar Habib