Staying on task can be difficult, but it can be particularly challenging when you are surrounded by constant distractions. In today’s world, diversions are nothing more than a click away.
While it may sound obvious, people often underestimate just how many distractions prevent them from concentrating on the task at hand, especially when working from home.
Here are some tips for you to try when you next feel like you are losing focus, wether in the office or at home:
• Block the internet for half a day
• Turn your phone off and ask people close to you to email you if they need to reach you urgently
• Listen to music without lyrics
• Wear comfortable clothes
• Stretch you legs for five minutes every hour
• Do some breathing exercises throughout the day
• Drink a lot of Water
• Avoid sugary foods as this will make you crash later on
• Try eating small amounts but often
• Sit next to someone who is focused
• Give colleagues access to view your diary so that they can see when you are going to be busy
• If you still cannot focus, watch someone who can, it will rub off
• When a distracting thought pops in, write it down and move on. Come back to it later
• Clear your work space of clutter
• Train your mind by learning something difficult five minutes per day
Whether you are trying to finish a report at work or competing in a marathon, your ability to focus can mean the difference between success and failure.
Written by Sahar Habib
Founder of Coach Wilson